February 3, 2010

Worship Wednesday

Today is the launch of Through the Lens of Worship.

I had initially intended to launch it right here on Exposing Grace, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized I should just start it off on its own.
So go here to post your link in the Mr. Linky.

Wednesdays are going to be focused on worship around here from now on.

Here is my personal worship experience to share for the first week of Through the Lens of Worship...

Remember this tree?

Or maybe you remember it better like this?


Well this is what it looks like now.

When I first heard they had burned it down I was so sad.
I loved that old tree.
But as I pondered it some more, I was reminded of Matthew Chapter 6.
Here is a little of what it says...
"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also...
But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."
That tree has been standing, lifeless in the same place since we moved to Hanford.
I don't know how long it has been dead, but I've never seen life on it.
And as beautiful as I thougth it was, there was nothing heavenly about it. It was death.


And now it is nothing more than a pile of firewood.


"Store up treasures in heaven where moth and rust (and fire) do NOT destroy."
What are you storing up?

7 comments:

Crystal Keilers, that's me. February 3, 2010 at 8:08 PM  

It also makes me think about John15:16

"If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned."

If the root is bad, death is inevitable.

(But I'm glad that you got pictures of it before they cut it down;). And thank you so much for praying for me :). You are definitely hearing right, I've needed your prayers :).

Kelly February 4, 2010 at 5:39 AM  

We always called these Spiritual Parallels growing up. You really turned this into a beautiful story. God IS in everything!

Sarita Allen February 4, 2010 at 7:57 AM  

Yay for week 1! Thank you for sharing your experience, Rhonda... what a great reminder to have an eternal perspective. =)

Diana February 4, 2010 at 10:56 AM  

I too was so sad when I heard about the tree and saw it destroyed. I love your take on it, though. The tree was beautiful, but it was dead. It was decay and death. We so often find things (sin, perhaps) as beautiful, when they are just decay and death.

Anonymous February 6, 2010 at 12:32 PM  

Rhonda,your images are so beautiful! I love the layout and I love the message. I also look forward in participating in Throughthelensofworship. What an awesome way to give glory to Jesus Christ for our gift! God Bless you!

Stephanie Motz Skinner February 7, 2010 at 9:17 PM  

I'm loving this idea! What a beautiful message and story.

Can't wait to participate.

Unknown February 8, 2010 at 4:21 PM  

Ah! But I see beauty in death, for through it, because of it, we are connected to Life Eternal - We are dead, BUT alive! That process - the standing dead tree, the tree burned with fire, and the pile of firewood reveals to me phases of deadness - Colossians 3:3. May we all become like that tree, ready to be tried by fire on the altar of God! Yeah!

Do you want to contact me?

Why photography with an eternal purpose?

In 2008 I read a book by Francis Chan called Crazy Love. While reading that book, I was challenged in the way I gave back to God. Tithing couldn't be enough anymore, but our family lived to the end of our means - without any margin for God to use. So I prayed about how that could change. This venture is one of the ways I have responded to the answer to that prayer. A photography business where God gets the majority of the earnings to use for His purposes.
I'm not sure what that fully looks like yet, but I'm excited for the potential of what God is going to do.
FEATURED VENDOR
Hanford, California Photographers
Directory at Decidio.com

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP